View Single Post
Old March 12, 2013, 08:44 PM   #7
SHR970

Quote:
The barrels I would be using them from are cylinder choke which should give them a smooth enough launch,I've thought about the flight control wads to keep the pellets tighter too.
You are forgetting acceleration forces which will compress / destroy the skirts. If you cut off the skirts, you destroy the front heavy aspect of the pellet and you'll get erratic performance. "Flight control" wads for a 410??? You missed the part of to get three to a layer you need card wads.

Load density....you'll never get 30 pellets loaded even with a single over-powder wad.

We haven't even begun discussing barrel scrubbing, disrupted air flow, etc.

Just for an academic exercise try the following: Take a 3" shell and cut off just enough of the top so you remove the crimp. Dump the shot out. Load as many steel BB's in there with the petals on the wad without going over the top of the hull. Next, pull the wad...save the powder though. Cut the petals off of the wad. Put the base of the wad back in over the powder and seat it. Now see how many steel BB's you can get in there without going over the top. You now know the limits with wad petals and without. Because of the height difference you will get more BB's in there than pellets.
You can also measure the depth of the available space in the shell. Now stack your chosen pellets one on top of the other until you come close but not exceeding the available height. Multiply that number x2 if you are using a wad with petals, multiply X3 if petals removed. You will know how many pellets will fit. Knowing how many pellets will fit, you can calculate the weight of your load.

Understand that I am NOT advocating loading a shell to be fired with common steel BB's. But steel BB's are cheap, plentiful and the same diameter as your pellets (actually the base of the skirt is just a tad wider). This way you will see that with petals you get two wide at best (wad taper is an issue) and without petals it is a tight three per layer.

But hey, if you want to go where others have gone before and see for your self go for it. It's your time and money. I would go different routes depending on what you are really trying to accomplish.

Page generated in 0.03882 seconds with 9 queries