View Single Post
Old February 12, 2013, 02:21 AM   #7
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Damn, ammo is expensive in .308! What is the average cost per round? I should have researched the cost. lol I think I am going to have to get into hand loading.
Cheap match ammo is about $1 per round (Federal Gold Medal Match). Fortunately, that is some of the best factory ammo available. The problem that you might run into is not having the velocity to do well at 1,000 yards.

Handloading is an option, but it still costs a good bit to get started, and getting match grade bullets and components to shoot out to 1,000 yards will still run you close to $0.65/round.... And right now those components are not easy to find.

I am currently loading up a .308 load that launches a 155 gr Lapua Scenar at 2,950 fps. That is using a 26" barrel, and the 10 shots I have put through my rifle have worked well out to 400 yards. Hopefully this round will get me out to 1,000 yards, but lighter bullets don't always make it that distance with the .308 Win.... All about velocity

What previous experience do you have with rifles? If you don't have much, you will want to practice at the 100, 200, and 300 yard line for a little bit first. After that you will spend a good bit of time at the 500 yard line to get better at reading the wind and how it affects your trajectory.

Page generated in 0.02413 seconds with 8 queries