View Single Post
Old December 31, 2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Slamfire

Pre war M70's had the left rear drilled and tapped for iron sights and were clip slotted. This one is serial number 3, 3XX. Mine was drilled and tapped on top of the receiver for scope mounts. I would have loved to find Slith mounts for the fun of it, but since they did not survive, they must not have been very good mounts.

I like the reticle image.

I don't know when pre 64's stopped being drilled and tapped on the left rear for irons, the upper rifle is serial number 458, XXX.

Sometimes you run across these Bausch and Lomb scopes and mounts. This set up dates as far back as 1951, based on the ads I have seen, and I have seen 1957 ads with these mounts. The windage and elevation adjustments are done with the mount screws. The scope is a fixed four power with a fixed reticle. The idea was that this made the scope more durable. The previous owner told me of ads where B&L drove nails with their scopes (stupid idea in my opinion). And that you could unscrew the scope and use it on another rifle with a B&L mount. I would not trust the zero on any dismounted scope. Maybe others have had positive experiences removing and attaching scopes without zero changes, but in my limited experience, I had zero changes.

I find the star shaped dismount screw in the way when you load ammunition and the pointy end gouges my fingers. Scope is clear.

Page generated in 0.03282 seconds with 8 queries