View Single Post
Old October 20, 2008, 07:16 PM   #13
BigJimP

I don't doubt you lived thru hell with Katrina / and how we responded as a nation to help the gulf coast is embarassing / not to mention all the other storms we've had this season as well. I was a Coast Guard officer for 10 years - and I understand the marine environment - but unless I misunderstood, you weren't talking about living or survinging on a boat. I would always have a good supply of flares on a boat.

A fire axe, a whistle ( and any number of things ) are all very important but very different issues than the discussion we were having in general about a need for flares.... in my opinion. But if you really want the flares - you should put them in your kit / but living in a metropolitan area east of downtown Seattle about 20 miles, I have no need for flares in my kit - even in the event of a major earthquake, etc.

But if you do put them in your kit / I would still depend on the flare gun that came in the kit ( makes it easy to store and use ). Flares also have an expiration date / so please make sure you keep them dry and current. It would be good to see what is in your kit - if you feel like you want to post it someday / a lot of people on here might learn something from it. But unlike a lot of people, I carry a complete first aid kit in both of my vehicles as well / just my nature. Take care.

Page generated in 0.03167 seconds with 8 queries