Thread: WAP Powder
View Single Post
Old February 14, 2000, 01:16 PM   #6
Paul B.

I have the data you need. E-mail me and I'll pass it on. let me know what bullet weights you plan on using. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I can get my scanner to work.
The "Big W" discontinued about 4 or 5 powders, some of which had only been on the market a short while. They dropped a bunch of rifle rounds as well. At least the rifle stuff will be made on a seasonal basis.
The one powder I use a lot is WMR. I don't think it has been out very long. The 13th ed. of the Winchester booklet does not carry it. Copywrite 1993. 14th ed. has it, copywrite 1994 as does the latest 15 ed. Now it's gone. That stuff is a miracle worker in my .300 Win Mag. Fortunately, I found 12 pounds for sale at a very reduced price. Still have about 11 left.
I think it has to do with the "bean counters". Back in the early 80's, I used a lot of Hodgdens H-205. My 06 loved it. Hodgden's discontinued it. I went to the NRA convention in Phoenix in 1982 and asked them why they had dropped it. This is a direct quote. "Frankly, the numbers weren't there." In plain English, they were not selling what they felt was a sufficient amount to justify continuing production. The powder hadn't been out more than about three years. They never gave it a chance to catch on. Reloaders are a conservative lot. They're slow to change and try new stuff. The same thing happened to RL-7, but at least we got that one back.
It seems to be the American way, that if immediate profits do not show up yesterday, they drop the product. Satisfying the shareholders is the bottom line.
Rant mode is off.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02734 seconds with 8 queries