View Single Post
Old May 8, 2002, 06:50 PM   #23
Baba Louie

Wow!

I tend to lurk a lot and write little, but this thread opens up a thought that's been running thru my head regarding Home Defense.

What are rules number 2 and 4? Muzzle coverage and final bullet direction/placement?

I kinda work in the construction industry and have inspected a lot of modern construction. Walls are what? Sheetrock over studs in most areas around here. Some may be CMU, but these are rarely found in interior single family residential applications.

Shooting straight down a hall when someone is hiding around the corner of a pair of panels comprised of parallel studs (@ 16" o.c.) and 2 - layers of gypsum bd. each, presents a very simple solution in some manners. A series of wooden studs running parallel to your shot will interrupt the trajectory of your bullet to a large degree. Not good. Neither is shooting at nothing.

Stepping into the room next to you (left or right, depending on where the assailant is hiding), again, assuming that he is hiding just around the corner with his C.O.M at about 42" above the floor. If you "have to" consider breaking both of the above rules, you may now "have to" shoot thru 2 - layers of sheetrock.
(I know, shooting at something you can't see is verboten we are taught) Cheating to win comes to mind.

Same concept when using your house for cover. Doors and windows have a little framing on each side of them, but unless you live in a brick or stone house, the wall is usually (again, around here) stucco over metal lath, some insulation and sheetrock on the interior face of the wall. Sometimes a layer of 3/8" plywood sheathes the studs for shear purposes.

Most residential doors are also built of inconsequential, thin materials. Some may have steel or solid wood panel doors.

What would your firearm do to someone hiding on the other side of that wall if you shoot through the wall? Which round is preferred and why?

Now that I've read the ungodly horrible scenario (real life can suck sometimes huh?), I may have to walk around the house thinking a little differently when home defense is concerned.

I've designed a couple of bulletproof walls for banks and check-cashing services. Not too hard, but it does cost more than the standard 2 x 4, gyp. bd. interior wall. Safe room?

Don't you wish you were superman and had X-ray vision to allow you to see through walls to know where they are?

Locks first, Security lights outside, Dogs inside.

What a first post/thread.

I'm sorry for your friend.

Learn from it and drive on.

Adios Qweeksdraw
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Page generated in 0.03839 seconds with 8 queries