View Single Post
Old October 28, 2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Seems to me that a "perfectly" balanced rifle will more likely to have muzzle rise during rapid or full-auto fire
Probably true, though to what degree I couldn't say. In my experience, muzzle rise is as much of a design issue as anything. For example, shooting .308 AR10s, I notice more recoil; but not so much muzzle rise due to the inline stock. On an M14 with a traditional stock, you definitely notice the muzzle flip more.

Quote:
personally, I'd rather have a muzzle heavy rifle in for this purpose.
I run a suppressor on my AR15. This means adding 20oz and 6" to the end of the barrel - so I definitely get to play with nose-heavy rifles despite my preference. When I first got the suppressor, I was surprised how much the muzzle weight affected my rapid fire shooting from a standing, squared off stance under 50 yards. It was so bad I thought something was broken at first. As it turned out, adding 20oz and 6" to the end of a 16" lever just makes the end of that lever that much harder to control (at least for me).

It was a big eye opener for me since I had figured giant, super-efficient muzzle brake + 20oz weight on the barrel = no muzzle movement when shooting (and actually that is true when I can get a good supported position); but for positions where I didn't have that support, it did have a negative impact for me.

Of course, that depends on the style of shooting as well I guess. If I took a manual-perfect High Power stance and started shooting, I imagine the extra weight would probably be more helpful.

Page generated in 0.02480 seconds with 8 queries