View Single Post
Old February 4, 2010, 07:25 PM   #76
ADB

Quote:
Using birdshot for self-defense is pure folly - just don't keep insisting others make the same mistake as you
No one here is "insisting" that anyone use birdshot. Some of us are simply pointing out that some people here are engaging in what boils down to really bad science with a strong overtone of scaremongering. The bogeyman scenarios spun out here of PCP-laden psychotics wrapped in bullet-repelling clothing bear little to no resemblance to anything that you're ever likely to encounter in a real-world home defense situation.

Quote:
This statement is factually incorrect. Gelatin is equivalent to muscle tissue. Bones affect penetration, especially when the projectile is too light, soft, and slow to break bone. Additionally, heavy clothing will, in fact, significantly affect the penetration of small shot. You are spreading a great deal of misinformation in your posts. I suggest you do some more research before displaying your lack of knowledge any more.
As I said: Ballistic gel is designed to mimic the penetration of a bullet through human tissue. In scientific testing, measures are taken to simulate reduced penetration for clothing and/or bones. This can be done by increasing the mixture thickness of the gel, lowering it's temperature, or more elaborately by placing actual physical obstructions over or inside it. By calculating relative densities, the testers can determine the actual performance of a round.

I'll say again what I've said before. At home defense ranges, anything coming out of a 12 gauge barrel will be fatal. If some people choose to use different rounds for controlled penetration, that's their business, and they don't need people on here yelling that they're endangering their families, or perpetuating dubious conventional wisdom.

Page generated in 0.02508 seconds with 8 queries