View Single Post
Old October 11, 2018, 03:39 PM   #2
TailGator

Welcome aboard. Lots of nice folks here to help.

The outside of the barrel of pistols is routinely lubed. Most people do this by wiping it with an oiled patch or a corner of a rag with gun oil.

For long term storage, I wouldn't leave a round in the chamber. I prefer to take the tension off all the springs, hammer down, striker released, that sort of thing. For short-term storage it shouldn't be a problem. Likewise carrying a pistol with a thin coat of oil in the barrel is not a problem.

The key to all this is understanding that proper lubrication is thin coatings of lube. You should be able to feel it but not see it when you are done. Oil shouldn't drip off or fly off when you shoot. When people say to lubricate a gun thoroughly (like Beretta does in their manuals) it means everything is oiled, but lightly. Other brands, like Glock recommend only certain parts receive any lubrication at all. Follow your manual, but use a light touch. Needle oilers are used a lot on firearms to keep the volume down. If you get to much, wipe it off, and you will almost certainly leave an effective amount behind.

Long exposure to a heavy amount of oil can cause ammo to be unreliable, but those are amounts of oil that you don't need and shouldn't use, anyway. I have a hard time imagining a properly (lightly) oiled gun contributing enough oil to a round to cause it to misfire, honestly.

Page generated in 0.03360 seconds with 8 queries