View Single Post
Old April 9, 2018, 10:33 AM   #40
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
I believe that most guns are capable of better accuracy than most shooters. With that said, the exercise to find the most accurate load is not futile. Guns are obviously tested on a ransom rest to remove the issues of steadiness, aim, and trigger pull from the equation. Without it, I do not believe anyone is capable of really extracting that data without introducing those variables.

So what value does it add then? Pretend a gun was a laser mounted on a stable platform and could hit the same spot every time. Each variable you adds to the size of the group. If you start out with a very accurate gun, you reduce your margin of error. Then you add match grade ammo to minimize that variable. At that point, then you can compare shooters based on their ability, rather than the variability introduced by the equipment. Basically, the same gun and same ammo shot by different shooters will allow you to judge the true skill of the shooters. So basically, if a gun and ammo combination is capable of 1.5" at 50 yards, and you shoot 2", you know you were only .5" off of the gun's capability.
Of course I agree with you. And I never or very seldom shoot my CCW guns as target guns which I see so many people do at the ranges I go to. I am a point and shoot (instinctive shooter). I belong to the philosophy Of fast draw and quick center mass shooting. However, I like the way certain ammo feels in my hand, with the gun. And the gun is a individual that prefers certain ammo.
Just a matter of "BECOMING ONE WITH THE GUN"

Triggers? That will always be a subjective subject. I personally, and I repeat Personally do not want nor care for a short, Crisp light trigger, and I have never rode the reset. And I shoot too many guns to learn one reset. For fast action shooting I do absoutley fine with a longer pull and to not need a trigger that has a "Glass Break". IMO the only time I feel I need a light trigger is for target shooting. Taking my time, getting the right stance and blah blah and slower squeezing the trigger..
What kills me is this is observed with small pocket guns all the time. And small 9mm's.
I suspect that is why so many pocket guns are coming out with such light triggers. People want a super light trigger to target shoot them.
Shoot a longer heavier trigger and I can shoot as well or better. It has become like a fad to get lighter triggers as seen on the internet. Fine, just not for me.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 9, 2018 at 10:39 AM.

Page generated in 0.06031 seconds with 8 queries