View Single Post
Old August 10, 2012, 01:05 PM   #21
jmortimer

"Anything the 12ga slug in ANY form can do, the .308 can do better.
Foot pounds of energy? Check. (Way Wrong)
Trajectory? Check. (Right)
Range? Check. (Right)
Actual tissue damage? Check. (Way Wrong)
Penetration? Check. (Way Wrong)
Accuracy? Check" (Right)

The Winchester Partition Slug I referenced is over 3,400 foot pounds. No .308even comes close. The Brenneke Magnum Crush goes over 3,800 ft lbs. So no, wrong.

As for "penetration" and "actual tissue damage" aka "tissue damage" the best testing, in my opinion, and in many others, are the Linebaugh Seminars and the "Bone Box." The 9.3 x 62 with a 250 grain Nosler at 2,725 fps (way more gun than a .308) goes 17 inches in the box without any bone. The following from a thread from Shotgun World site 4-28-04:

"Terminator "Wound Channels"
The 730 grain hard cast .73 caliber Terminator moving out at 1268 FPS, penetrated 29 inches into the wet pack. This round blasted a 4 inch wide tapering tunnel for the biggest "wound channel" of the seminar!

The slightly deformed nose of the Terminator on the left above occured when one round was fired too close th to top of the paper. It exited the paper stack near the end of its travel and slammed into the heavy pine support board.

For comparison, a Federal .416 Rigby round with a 400 grain Partition, penetrated 30 inches with a considerably smaller displacement of the test medium."

The current Dixie DGS ("Dangerous Game Slug") is even "more gun." It shoots a .730 caliber 870 grain hard cast slug 1,200 fps. I'm not a big fan of the Taylor K.O. Value, except as it gives an indication as to potential performance on dangerous game, lion, tiger, big bears, Cape buffaLo, and the Dixie DGS get a 109 on the Taylor K.O. scale and the most "powerful" .308 I could find was the 178 grain Hornady Superformance at a 21 Taylor K.O. value. So no, you are wrong, on the most important points.
.308 has its place, but it is not in the world of total destruction at ranges under 100 yards and over 100 yards, it is best suited to medium size game up and not dangerous game at any range.

Page generated in 0.02245 seconds with 8 queries