View Single Post
Old December 30, 2009, 03:27 PM   #96
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by publius42
it was a pretty good guess that your link started in 1792!
No the link talks about the colonial militias well before the Act 0f 1792. BTW I looked at the MA militia law that you claimed required all citizens to be armed (and implied) that they had to supply their own arms and found that was not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by publius42
Still looking for the states that supplied their militias with arms in the 1780s, though. You said there were many. Which ones in particular?)
All of them did when an individual could not afford one.

BTW have you read the source I have posted and care to discuss or are you just playing gotcha?.

Edit: If you ever get the chance to go to Williamsburg, go take a peek at the Governor's house. There are a ton of firearms there (all owned by the colonial government) in the entrance hall that were issued to the militia in times of emergency. Then, go by the gunsmith shop and ask how expensive guns were then and hard to get and ask if every able bodied man in Williamsburg owned a private gun. I did.

Last edited by Tennessee Gentleman; December 30, 2009 at 03:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.03598 seconds with 8 queries