View Single Post
Old September 1, 2005, 11:35 AM   #18
P-990

For full-power ammo I really like W-W296, a WLP primer and a 240gr Hornady XTP. I've only found one .44 Magnum so far that didn't shoot better than average with this combo. Look at the freebie Winchester manual for the exact charge, but it IS the max listed. I don't recall it, so I won't cite it, for I haven't loaded that combo for a while. My estimate is that at max charge it is good for 1300-1400fps out of a 6" revolver. While I don't find it uncomfortable, I do know a few shooters who cannot manage this level. (Needless to say, I don't give these guys any 300s! ) I've also found 240gr Winchester JSP or HSP to work well in my pistol.

As far as general plinking and practice, I have a real fondness for .44 Specials and moderate-level .44 Magnums. These I load with W-W231, either a CCI-300 or WLP and some 240gr cast SWC I find locally. I load to about 1100fps with the magnum brass and around 750 with the Special brass, this out of a 6" revolver. Not quite as accurate as the full-house loads, but more economical and easier to shoot for extended periods.

Page generated in 0.03336 seconds with 8 queries