View Single Post
Old June 10, 2010, 06:42 AM   #100
Magnum Wheel Man

1st two books came yesterday ( now just have to find the time to read them )

I did get all my straps ends rounded & a couple burnished ( still need to get that variable speed dremel... think that would make things lots easier than my single high speed model )

stiffening materials...

I have several old Bucheimer holsters that I think used aluminum... as I do some light fabricating, I have a couple thin pieces of aluminum & could try that... also the local speed shop has rolls of ( roughly ) 1/8" thick flexible plastic that I think is used for stock cars... it comes in many colors, in smaller sheets rolled up, & is reasonably cheap... since I'm still after a traditional look, I was thinking of fully wrapping the stiffening material in leather...

IMO, the higher riding holsters can often use more stiffening & with trying to keep a more traditional look, I think I need something... Aarond I know has talked about lined holsters being stiffer, but on my big bore holsters, I doubled over the leather in the belt loop extensions ( I think that was 8-9 or 9-10 oz ) I used rubber cement to glue them 1st in my vice, & once cured, punched & sewed them... I think they're still too flexible hence my thoughts on a stiffener layer

curious what if anything you guys have used...

BTW... just flipping through the books I already learned something... trimming that lace to a point before putting it in the needle... seems like a great idea... I'll have to try that... bet it makes the lace go through the chisel slots much better

Page generated in 0.03911 seconds with 8 queries