View Single Post
Old November 23, 2015, 02:37 PM   #10
dogtown tom

WV_gunner Those types of guns are what I was referring too, a shotgun originally with only a pistol grip. I myself wouldn't take the plunge to venture into risking it. Current law says it's legal, how long will it be that way?
It's been that way since 1934.

It's only legal because of basically a technicality.
Nope. ATF regulations clearly define what is a shotgun, handgun and just a firearm.
And removing a pistol grip to add a stock just seems like it may erase the gray area. Haven't you converted it to a legal shotgun but now with a short barrel. I know with hamdguns/rifles (except a select few) you can't convert a rifle to a pistol.
Wrong.

And if you convert a handgun to a rifle it's permanently legally a rifle.
Wrong again. Where have you been the last four years? Thanks to the Thompson Center case in 1992, ATF finally issued a ruling in 2011.
https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

So if you have a pistol grip 12 gauge and put a shouldar stock on it and cut the barrel down I don't see how it's not a SBS.
Well, it IS. As soon as you put that shoulder stock on an "Other Firearm"....you made a shotgun...with a short bbl.

The technicality allows pistol grips and the overal length what, 26 inches? Or is there a minimum length?
To remain an "Other Firearm" it must exceed 26" OAL and not have a shoulder stock.

Plus shooting that short of a shotgun while hunting is going to be rough on your ears.
You should be wearing plugs anyway, but few of these are used for hunting.

Regardless if the federal government saying it's legal, does the average cop know? Let's say you get pulled over and it's in the trunk of your car or next to you in your truck. The cop will probably ask if you have a weapon in one of several questions you'll be asked repeatedly. When they see what would normally be a SBS in your trunk, how will they react? You might get a get out of jail free card but who says you won't spend the night there while they figure it out. I know I'm paranoid but it's a realistic situation.
Valid concerns, but the same could be said for any type of firearm a police officer encounters.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Page generated in 0.03235 seconds with 8 queries