View Single Post
Old January 30, 2014, 04:08 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The below statement is totally wrong showing a lack of knowledge on the subject. My 357, Marlin 1894c, is my favorite rifle. I run everything in it from my bunny fart 38 loads to full hot loads magnum loads in 357. Use rifle and pistol with the same loads. BTW her nake is SUGAR...

Quote:
Quite often the reloading requirement for the lever action rifle will be different than for the revolver, for the best effect.
Different bullet diameters, different overall length, different powders for best results, 'etc.
So, you might wind up reloading for two different guns, anyway.
I have to disagree with your opinion about the statement being totally wrong, in fact, its pretty much spot on. The rifle will handle anything the pistol does, quite true (and so it should be), but the rifle will also handle loads that should NOT be used in a pistol.

you don't HAVE to use different loaded ammo in the rifle, but you CAN, and if you do, you can get even more performace than you will shooting pistol loads.

I have had two of the Marlin .357 carbines (gave the first one away to my Father-in-law as a Christmas present one year). Replaced it a few years ago, with one I found at a gun show. Pre safety gun, looks new, $300 out the door...

Marlins are intolerant of loads that are "too long". If you want to shoot 180gr+ bullets, check the gun to see if they will feed from the magazine before you buy a quantity of them. Had to take apart a friends 1894 to clear the jam he caused by loading the tube with 200gr cast LRN one time...if you do find something too long to feed through the action, you can single load them into the chamber...

The other thing I have found about the Marlin is that some of them will sometimes balk at feeding SWC bullets (or anything with a sharp shoulder). What sometimes happens is the cartridge "bounces" a little bit on the carrier, and a shoulder on the bullet can catch on the edge of the chamber. IF this happens, simply back off the pressure on the lever, the round will drop back into proper position, and the action can then be closed smoothly. Bullets with smooth rounded profiles (RN, JHP, JSP, etc.) work,...well, ..smoothly...

There are a couple of good uses for pistol caliber carbines that are not usually mentioned. Besides the usual reasons (fun, same ammo as pistol, etc), they are good guns for beginning (youth) shooters, especially in .357, as recoil is lower than more powerful guns, but they still have plenty within their range limits.

And the second reason is home security, if you travel with a "home". This was the use my father-in-law got. He wasn't much of a gun person, but was fine with a lever action, the .357 is a more than adequate defensive cartridge, AND by using a carbine, he avoided all the legal hassles of having a handgun in different states. The Marlin traveled most of the time in the wardrobe closet of his truck camper, and was legal and essentially unrestricted everywhere.

Plus I don't know if he could have hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun, but did ok with a rifle.

Page generated in 0.02291 seconds with 8 queries