View Single Post
Old March 3, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

With respect to the opening post, dakota.potts, please bear in mind that what you tell your doctor and your lawyer are confidential. What you post on the internet is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts
Maybe someone can explain to me why my parents and grandparents had to fill out questionnaire forms when buying their 2 handguns, a shotgun, and an AR-15 (the shotgun was bought one trip, the AR another, and the 2 handguns together). We have no registration laws and only background checks on handguns so why were they asked to fill out forms about their past criminal history and mental health?
You said that they were bought on trips, so it would help to know when and where the firearms were purchased. If they were purchased out of state, they would have had to go through an FFL. Purchases from an FFL require the transferee to fill out a Form 4473, which includes questions such as: (1) whether one is a convicted felon; or (2) whether one has ever been adjudicated as a mental defective.

Depending on what state the firearms were purchased in, there may have been additional forms required under state law.

Page generated in 0.02389 seconds with 8 queries