View Single Post
Old March 4, 2017, 11:17 PM   #105
Ruark

I've often contemplated this question. There are some types of "non-gun" attackers that you can easily put down WITHOUT a fatal shot. Myself, I could easily put a slug through the knee of anybody inside of 10 feet. Trust me, a half-inch hole through the knee will drop you in your tracks, not to mention an off-the-chart pain level.

Yet, I personally know some CHL instructors who say "shooting to wound" is a very, very bad idea that should never be considered, that you should either shoot to kill or don't shoot at all. One perspective is that a prosecutor could take the position that if you didn't need to kill him, maybe you weren't justified in using deadly force in the first place.

Another view is what your priority is: to kill the attacker, or to stop the attack. I can think of many situations where it could be the latter. Again, though, there are many who draw back in horror at the mere suggestion of deliberately shooting to wound.

If some bad guy who was evidently unarmed was threatening me verbally, say walking towards me (with me displaying my weapon) saying "go ahead, shoot me, m---f---" say maybe he's drunk or stoned or just carrying a club or knife, I would have a hard time just slaughtering him, when I could drop him in his tracks with a knee shot.

Last edited by Ruark; March 4, 2017 at 11:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.03993 seconds with 8 queries