View Single Post
Old December 30, 2019, 01:23 AM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

The second victim is now reported to have died in the hospital.
Quote:
I'm going to disagree with John.
Ok, I tried to eyeball it initially, here's a more rigorous estimate.

Assuming that the security guard is 33 inches from waist to the top of his head and that there haven't been any aspect ratio changes when the video was posted, a purely 2 dimensional analysis of their positions at the time of the shooting indicates that he is about 10 yards away from the shooter. However, the shooter is clearly farther from the camera than the security guard, so the 2D range will clearly underestimate the shooting distance. But at this point we have a pretty solid bottom end for our range estimate--10 yards.

Assuming that the security guard and the shooter are about the same size, then based on the photograph, the shooter is about 60% farther from the camera than the security guard.

When I run the numbers with the security guard ranging from 10 yards to 25 yards from the camera (my best guess is that he's really about 17-19 yards from the camera) I get that the overall distance from the security guard to the shooter is in the range of 11.5 to 17.4 yards.

Not that John Correia is necessarily an expert at estimating distances from videos, but for whatever it's worth, his estimate was 12-15 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5NzuGSkL2E

I think my initial estimate of 10 to 15 yards is reasonably accurate--I'm pretty confident of the lower bound on that range.

Page generated in 0.02676 seconds with 8 queries