View Single Post
Old January 16, 2009, 03:17 AM   #15
roach4047

CLearning to make good ammo is the best way to make your AR work.

I've heard that from several extremely reputable sources now a couple of which have numerous national titles under their belt from Camp Perry.

From just about every authority in the AR-15 arena you will here that although they are superior rifles in their own arena they can be finicky about what particular ammunition you feed them.

That's not saying your particular AR won't shoot well on inexpensive ammo. It might and it might not. You'll simply have to see what works well in your application and what doesn't. For instance my cousin has a BushMaster that does pretty well with Winchester White box FMJ 55 gr while my Wilson Combat UT-15 doesn't like that ammo so well for reasons that only somebody with far more expertise than myself could only tell you and The wilson cost twice what the bushmaster does. Will the Bushmaster out shoot the Wilson? Maybe if you're feeding them both Winchester whitebox but feed them each their preferred ammo and the Wilson will most likely out shoot the Bushmaster. At least I would hope it would...lol

The point is that just like any other weapon they'll function better with certain ammo on board. The trick is finding what the weapon performs best with. Like mentioned before. with a 1:9 twist you'll want to stay away from the heavier bullets. 52g-55g would be a good place to start. Don't go any higher than 68g according to the authorities higher grain bullets require 1:8 or greater.

Roach

Page generated in 0.03241 seconds with 8 queries