View Single Post
Old June 5, 2002, 02:54 AM   #10
Herb Fredricksen

Pistols by USPS

I'll recheck the regs, but then so should you, but I'm sure an individual can ship a pistol to an FFL, a gunsmith with FFL, the original dealer or the factory when returns or repairs are needed. None of those are sales activities. Selling one and shipping one by USPS is limited to FFL holders at both ends. That knocks out an individual selling one and shipping it USPS or an FFL selling one and shipping it to a non-FFL. Here's an opinion I value:

"Think of it this way, I am always a dealer and you are only a dealer when it concerns C&R guns. A dealer may mail a handgun to another dealer. So if it is a 1922 Canardly-Shute, I can mail it to you or you can mail it to me because we are both dealers. If we are talking about a new Desert Eagle, you are not a dealer and I can neither mail it to you nor can you mail it to me.

However, ANYONE may use a common carrier to ship a gun and you, as a non-dealer, may ship that Desert Eagle to a gunsmith in Ohio and he may ship it back to you via common carrier."

I'm shipping a revolver to Taurus for repair tomorrow, I returned a semi-auto to SOG a month ago. My Gunsmith/FFL ships USPS all the time. USPS does not have the same theft problem as UPS and Fedex simply because its a violation of federal law to tamper with the US Mail. No such laws protect you with UPS or Fedex.

USPS has a website with their Form 1508 (certifies the shipment legally) and alls regs available for download and printing. I will pack to their specs, present the package for their inspection before sealing at their counter and ship it Priority Mail. Done!

Herb Fredricksen [email protected]

Page generated in 0.03393 seconds with 8 queries