View Single Post
Old July 6, 2008, 01:51 AM   #1
gvf

New (to me) Shooting Technique - Comments?

At range tonight, being the only one there, the range officer who is also SD instructor (very good) gave me a free hour's instruction. We were doing Point-Shooting, and related stuff. On the way out, he gave me verbal instructions in another technique, which I'd never come across. Maybe you know it. Any comments would be nice:

When a threat is attacking, the period between you reaching your gun, unholstering, raising it to aim-point, aiming and firing can be a few seconds, during which the attack can continue, the perp closer, the knife now all set to go etc. , and you may well be so rattled by this as to shoot rushed and inaccurate.

The technique the instructor explained was firing very quick shots in the arc of the gun being brought up, AS IT IS BEING RAISED, say at 30 degrees, 60 degrees and 90 (the usual shot point); the first would be quite low, might even ricochet off the sidewalk but perhaps into his body, second also low but a possible leg/low-groin hit, the last though very quickly following might well get a hit somewhere in center. The hope is the phyisical -or if even none hit - just psychological reaction to such an overwhelmingly quick opening- fusillade will cause a pause of shock in the attacker. In the pause you now have a breath to more carefully get control of the situation and aim for other shots, at about the same time your normally would be firing your first shot anyway. Perhaps the threat falls wounded or runs in the slight pause. (Not the point of the technique to monitor this, but who knows.)

In other words, you're shooting "before your first shot", so to speak.

If it doesn't work, you're no worse off than you would have been save for the 3 less shots, but in a semi-A., at least, you have quite a few left for one person. (A revolver might be more problematic this way.)

The only real down-side i see is not being able to practice but by dry-fire, due to potential ricochet of first shot off floor into the range ceiling, or outside off a rock skywards (or worse). So, seems like it should be used live only in life & death scenario.

Seemed interesting though.

Reactions?

Last edited by gvf; July 6, 2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.02852 seconds with 8 queries