View Single Post
Old May 20, 2019, 10:55 AM   #70
F. Guffey

Bart B. there are reloaders that do not know and or understand where the clearance is: You have an absolute infatuation with clearance being between the bolt face and case head. There was a reloader near Gig Harbor that went as far as to set up an experiment to prove me wrong. He used Velcro to hold a 308W case in a belted Magnum chamber; he closed the bolt and pulled the trigger. Pulling the trigger did not bust the primer and then he used deductive reasoning to say I was wrong.

I did appreciate his effort; I thought he went way out of his way to disagree.

And now you have made a claim that you can determine where the clearance is located and you have claimed there is no way an extractor can hold the case against the bolt face and then you have claimed ‘if it did’ the extractor can not hold it ‘very good’.

And I have said I can check the length of the chamber from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face 3 different ways without a head space gage. And I have said even if I had a head space gage the head space gage will not measure the length of the chamber from the shoulder of the chamber to the bolt face.

Anyone/ a reloader that can determine where the clearance is located can measure the length of the chamber’ not really. Back to the day a friend build 4 magnificent rifles, when finished he went to test fire the first rifle. He had 5 case head separations out of the first 10 rounds fired. Not a problem but he was surrounded with a class bunch of smiths, He started out with; “He said they said…” That is a most difficult act to follow. I told him I could have determined if there was a chance his cases would suffer case head separation and I told him I could “FIX” the problem temporarily if he insisted on fire forming his cases. I form first and then fire.

He had another rifle that did not shoot groups; it shot patterns like a shot gun. I used home made tools to test the length of the chamber and the free fore. The throat was so long the bullet came out of the case long before the bullet got to the rifling. He asked me how that could happen. I explained to him he asked me to determine what was wrong with the rifle; first I told him “I do not know” and then I told him someone wanted more powder but did not understand what Weatherby was doing by increasing the length of the throat. ..

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02281 seconds with 8 queries