View Single Post
Old August 28, 2013, 09:27 PM   #29
myfriendis410

We also avoid using a saw when processing because (I believe) that bone marrow contributes an "off" taste when it comes in contact with the meat. We also hang our carcasses (the deer's, actually) in a reefer for several days to allow the meat to dry and age. Lots of places like Colorado or Wyoming you get the same results with a night in the garage as it's so dry.

The actual butchering is done with a good quality kitchen knife set aside in our kit. I'm the designated sharpener and they are SHARP. The deer is disjointed with the knife and the cuts are then made for packaging. Basically you want to follow the muscle groups in the hams and you will get round, sirloin etc. that can be cut into roasts and steaks and chops. Don't forget the "poison meat" inside the body cavity up against the pelvis: it's called the tenderloin. THE best piece of meat on a deer or hog. If you like ribs, that's when the saw comes out. The front legs we usually debone and grind for burger and to mix with wild pork and fat for sausage.

Finally; we have been using a vacuum sealer for several years and I will not willingly process game without one ever again. It makes a huge difference six months later when you pull a roast out of the freezer.

Page generated in 0.02737 seconds with 8 queries