Thread: Lions or Bears?
View Single Post
Old March 15, 2009, 12:28 AM   #15
Big Bill

Here are a couple of additional comments about my story. I as a young scoutmaster at the time (about 22 years old) and had a couple of my scouts with me. I had one .22 and the plan was just to go shoot a little and see if we could scare up a rabbit or two. I was driving a 2X pickup and we were on an old road in the foothills that was rutted. And, like a fool, I got high centered. We tried for several hours to get unstuck, but couldn't and I had to have the boys home right after dark (which didn't happen). So, I finally decided to start walking and we took a couple of small flashlights I had in the truck, but I also left my rifle in the truck - I don't know why! It was on our way out to the nearest ranch light that we were circled by several (probably curious) coyotes. They just circled us; but, it was a spooky experience. When we arrived at the farmhouse, I called one of the parents and they came and got us. I guess it goes without saying that I didn't last very long as scoutmaster in that troop. It was an embarrassing experience for me. The next day, my hired guy and I pulled the truck out.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; March 15, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.02315 seconds with 8 queries