View Single Post
Old March 22, 2011, 03:21 PM   #1
poppa59hd

Nitrating Sharps Cartridge Papers

I posted a question some weeks ago about where to find potassium nitrate to make cartridge papers for my Sharps rifle & carbine and recieved a lot of useful information and some links to where to purchase the stuff. For all the answers I recieved, I am greatly appreciative.
My question is: How much nitrate should I purchase? Used in a glass baking pan, how much nitrate will it take to thoroughly saturate the water to soak the papers in? I've found nitrate for sale in 1-lb, 3-lb & 5-lb jugs and have no idea how much to order. "Quess-timating" about a quart of water in the pan, how much nitrate before the heated water will not dissolve any more nitrate? I've been told (not on here) that inch-and-a-half of saturated water with soak 25-35 notebook-size sheets of paper and I'm figgering on @6 cartridge papers per sheet. I suppose I should get a Sharps cartridge rolling kit from Dixie Gun Works and use their stuff for patterns and info, too, but I thought I'd ask on here, first. I know there are Sharps shooters in here and figgered I'd get the voices of experience for advice.
I'd appreciate any/all the info/advice anyone out there feels like passing on to a Sharps shooter neophyte.
ALWAYS REMEMBER: Rebels-0 Yankees-1 Halftime

Page generated in 0.03074 seconds with 8 queries