View Single Post
Old March 14, 2018, 11:22 AM   #38
stinkeypete

No. 1 is .22. I learned to shoot with my grandpa’s H&R .22 Special. These were acquired for the Pennsylvania State Troopers as they were cheaper to practice with than .38s. That’s what I was told fifty years ago, anyhow. We always shot .22 shorts in that gun. My dad let the gun go in his divorce.

Many years later, I found another one and bought it. Now I know why we only shot .22 short... the cylinder doesn’t have a lock up! It just spins close to the barrel and don’t let it spin backwards from it’s advancing direction and it’ll be fine. Sort of.

Then I started shooting in a pistol league. My pistol smith recommended a baikal IZH and that was a great big tack driver. He also made me a custom from a Norinco copy of a TT Olympia. That would be the very last pistol I would ever part with.

Looking for a field pistol for rabbit hunting, I tried a little S&W air light, but it was not a good experience. Even after being returned to the factory to fix the barrel that was on so croooked the sights didn’t have enough travel to compensate for, it just would not group for me. My Norinco grouped better than my 10-22 from sandbags. really.

Light, small, accurate, quiet... yep. .22 for me.

Next choice? .45. .45 cap, .45 Colt, .454 Casull. Heavy, big, accurate, hand held thunder roaring hand cannons.

I guess I like the extremes.

Page generated in 0.03024 seconds with 8 queries