View Single Post
Old April 19, 2013, 01:56 PM   #23
4b4mac

4b4mac

I stumbled upon advice about die/case lube that I feel most comfortable about sharing. Use Mobil 1 oil - lightest weight avilable. I've taken a small size screw top prescription bottle and filled it 1/2 full of oil. Tip the bottle to allow oil to flow along side up to nea the top. Rotate the end of a Q-tip on the film left adhering to the side of the bottle. Squeege any extra oil from cotton by rotating against non-coated side of bottle. I pull my die, remove decapping pin and swab out inside with cotton rag every 100 to 200 sizing cycles. Coat inside die and expander ball lightly with oil before ressembly. coat each fired, cleaned case lightly with oil. Cleaning case mouths before sizing is a good idea. I give every tenth mouth a slight swipe of oil. NO STUCK CASES! I size quite a lot of Lake City brass - fired largely, I suspect, in M4 / M16's. One can learn a great deal about variations in chamber dimensions from rifle to rifle through resizing! Watch for "fat" Cases. If you encounter extra resistance on the downstroke you likely have a case fired in a fat chamber. Back off the downstroke, back the case out and go again. continue to observe resistance. If resistance is great I find it wise to swab the exposed case with a bit more oil while it's in the shell holder. Continue the careful in-and-out until the case is extending 1/8 to 3/16 from the die mouth before you lever down to roll-over of press cam. Develop the habit of being DELIBERATE, OBSERVANT and PATIENT when sizing and reloading overall. Always follow makers instructions and that of a reputable MANUAL!
That will keep you out of trouble and unnecessary aggravation better than anything!

Page generated in 0.02650 seconds with 8 queries