View Single Post
Old April 2, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Sevens

"Values" on Model 65's can be a tiny little bit different than, say, other similar Smith & Wesson K-frame magnum revolvers simply because so many of these were sold to agencies and issued as duty revolvers and have been hitting the secondary market as former LE or DOC guns.

Notice I'm not talking about the desirability, durability, tangible use or pride of ownership here -- merely that the market for a four-inch Model 65 is simply going to be different than a 4" Model 13 or Model 19, or a 6-inch Model 65 or Model 66, etc etc. It's all about the numbers.

If your gun was first sold commercially in a gun store or distributor and it's first end-user or owner was Joe Lunchbox, it's most likely a more "desirable" gun on the market, where price or "value" is concerned. Duty guns that have been released to the secondary market almost -ALWAYS- show some evidence of their service, often with secondary identifying numbers or a characters or logos or words etched in to them. Look for anything in a different font or an odd place. Obvious carry wear can be an indicator...some might suggest to look inside for donut crumbs & sprinkles.

The huge local gun store in my area has deals with different LE agencies (or the assorted groups that must handle their fleet of firearms) and they have recently offered extremely large lots of LE trade in K-frames in both .38 and .357. Model 10's, 64's and 65's, and I mean a -LOT- of them.

The Model 10's were intro'd to the local market at $249. And you would literally walk up to a glass gun case and see 20 of them. And if 1 sold, another one was fished from a crate and it replaced it in the case. When I went to find the Model 10-10 that I bought, the price had dropped to $220 to clear them out and I spent a few minutes handling and working SEVEN different revolvers to find the one that came home with me.

When the Model 65's were released to the buying public, they tagged them at $399. Many were three-inch barreled. I didn't buy one of these. Maybe I should have?

I can tell you that if you went to a gun show and found a very nice three-inch Model 65 and all evidence pointed to it NEVER having been an issued gun and only sold commercially, I simply don't think there's any way you'd be able to purchase that revolver for under $500, unless there were "issues" with it.

These are merely my opinions and the market varies according to many factors.

Page generated in 0.02941 seconds with 8 queries