View Single Post
Old August 25, 2010, 12:53 AM   #21
Nnobby45

Quote:
This is the paragraph that pertains to my medium L frame 686;

Quote:
"Plus-P" (+P) ammunition generates pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard .38 Special ammunition. Such pressures may effect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety built into many revolvers and could therefore be DANGEROUS.

While the +P .38 may generate pressures 10 to 15% higher than standard .38's (or there abouts), the .357 produces pressure DOUBLE that. Sounds like a generic message, and I'm sure the note was meant for +P's fired in some .38 Specials.

The 686 is actually a beefed up K frame designed so that you can fire full power .357 ammo 'till your heart's content and +P .38's a lot longer than that.

As mentioned, the shorter .38's will produce a carbon ring just ahead of the case in that part of the chamber that the .357 would occupy. The carbon and residue must not be allowed to accumulate, and some wear and pitting of that part of the chamber is unavoidable. Some recommend not firing .38's in .357's for that reason. Scorched forward parts of .357 chambers from firing .38 ammo may reduce the value of the gun--though I'm not sure. Keep the chambers clean and the performance won't be effected.

Failure to keep the carbon out of there can cause moisture to accumulate underneath it and pit and rust the chambers. Again--not something that need ever happen with proper cleaning. In extremely abusive cases, the build up could be bad enough to prevent .357 ammo from opening up properly to release the bullet and pressures could go up. .357 pressures are already high enough without that. Seems like the .357 ammo going in real tight in the chambers would be a clue.

Never the less, many thousands of shooters regularly shoot .38 ammo in their .357's and have no problems.

Last edited by Nnobby45; August 25, 2010 at 01:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.03441 seconds with 8 queries