View Single Post
Old January 3, 2016, 01:07 PM   #6
BigJimP

If you're talking about defense - in my opinion no, a shotgun is not the answer.

As I get into my late 60's ...my eyesight and strength issues in my hands show up more and more - and while I shoot Skeet and Sporting Clays and am reasonably proficient with a shotgun / in my view a shotgun is a clumsy alternative for defense over a handgun. Most of the experts tell us defense will be most often in the 3 Feet to probably 24 foot range...where a handgun is probably optimal / keeping one hand free if necessary - when you can't do that with a shotgun.

As I've gotten older...training is the most important thing - and I go to the range and practice my Tactical drills a couple times a week now ( draw - and double taps / reload drills - draw fire 2 - reload fire 2 - reload fire 2, etc )...and as I've gotten older I've moved more toward the "shot placement issue" being the most important not caliber...so, for me, its a full sized 1911 in 9mm...( over anything in .40 s&W or .45 acp ).../ if I want to keep a revolver handy its an N frame S&W in a 4" in .357 mag ( fits my hands better ).../educe recoil, maintain some proficiency in keeping my split times down on my follow up shots - and I do that best with heavier guns with less recoil.

but shotguns, no - not for defense / for fun on clays, yes...( but I shoot way less 12ga now ...and a lot more 28ga / or some gague with 3/4 oz of shot vs in the old days with 1 1/8 oz of 1 oz of shot...to reduce fatigue and recoil.

Page generated in 0.03564 seconds with 8 queries