View Single Post
Old January 17, 2001, 07:13 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

.25 Bullets

Wildcat--

I've had excellent results with the Sierra Spitzer 100 gr. SP, pushing it as fast as I can out of a Ruger .257 Roberts--I mean some loads well above published max. This bulet is extremely accurate and devastating on white tails. My son claims(Humorously, I hope) that this rifle/bullet combo is more deadly than a .300 Winchester Magnum. But, really, we've had more deer drop in their tracks, DRT, than with any other rifle. I think it is simply a matter of luck, combined with extreme accuracy, but there it is.

I wouldn't even mention my .257 Roberts load, but some friends have used this same bullet, loaded a lot hotter, in .25-06 rifles. I'm sure there are some .257 Weatherby Mag users out there who will contribute input better suited to your needs.

I wouldn't bother with the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, though, because I've had it break up part of the time even at my lower velocities.

Unless you're figuring on it being a super varmint rifle, though, and I note you mentioned white tails, I think you'll be happier with the 120 grain range of bullets.

Let us know the results of your load development.

Best,
Johnny
MOLON LABE!

Page generated in 0.03391 seconds with 8 queries