Thread: Crimping.
View Single Post
Old November 13, 2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Misssissippi Dave

A taper crimp is what is used for .45 acp. All you want to do is remove any flair you put on the case to seat the bullet. The tension of the case is enough to keep them in place. Crimping more that just removing the flair can cause problems. There is a big difference in the amount of powder needed between lead and jacketed bullets. Your powder amount is short of the minimum needed for a jacketed XTP bullet. There is no surprise your pistol will not cycle with that load.

Just looking at a couple of sources I see load data ranging from 5.7 to 6.4 grains of bullseye powder with OAL of 1.200". Using 1.230" OAL another source says max is 6.7 grains of bullseye.

You really need to have a few sources for load data before loading the first round of something new to you. Make certain you use lead data only for lead and maybe thin plated bullets. Jacketed bullets need more powder to move the bullet through the barrel. A shorter OAL will reduce the amount of powder needed. As you can see with 3 or 4 different sources so far mentioned the OAL is different for each and the amount of powder as well. I seldom find the minimum charge will cycle most of my pistols. 0.1 or 0.2 grains above the minimum normally will cycle all of them just fine. Beyond that amount, I go up to get a more accurate load only. There is one exception. Using W231 powder I will go 0.1 or 0.2 grains of powder higher than the minimum to get an accurate load only to get it to burn a little cleaner. It works for me as long as it is still an accurate load. It is a rare thing for me to go as high as the max listed load so far. A load that is very accurate in my pistol may not be as good in yours. It may be acceptable but not great. The same can be said with even two pistols of the same model.

Page generated in 0.02933 seconds with 8 queries