View Single Post
Old September 22, 2011, 09:10 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Protective vests and being honest

I've been thinking about the tactical importance of having and wearing a protective vest.

In a lot of situations, whatever factors or assumptions that predicate carrying a firearm would also add weight to the decision to also wear a protective vest - especially the light ones.

In states where carrying isn't allowed - like Illinois, the same things that would make me want to carry - being prepared for the possibility of encountering a life threatening situation - would seem to also makle me want to wear a protective vest.

I would venture to say that there are few situations where it doesn't make sense to wear one.. I'm not saying those situations don't exist, I can think of a bunch right off the top of my head, a day at the beach, any day in the summer in Florida, Louisiana, Georgia and most of the South.

But for me in the midwest - especially in the winter, any decision that I would make to take a firearm with me - often logically also calls for wearing a vest, especially the light ones.

I've started to wonder why I never learned the ins & outs of wearing protective clothing, why I've never even researched it and I've come to the conclusion that I haven't done it because basically it is boring.

I love guns, I think they're neat, I love to shoot them because they're fun to shoot, and it's fun and satisfying to have firearms.

I think for me it's part of that addage - "when the only tool you have in your tool box is a hammer - every problem looks like a nail."

I see the possibility of being assaulted and since I love guns so much - a pistol automatically becomes my primary focus - really to the exclusion of other things.

When I start thinking of fixing my leaky sink with a few well placed shots from my Glock then I'll know I'm really too far gone.

I just think that the reason I haven't researched it and own a vest is because I'm more interested in firearms as recreation and the neato factor than I am about really needing one to save my life one day. When I'm faced with how to spend my money, a protective vest is a not-fun way to spend it when instead I could pick up some new pistol or a match barrel or some neat peice of optical equipment, or buy ammo and range time.

Page generated in 0.02099 seconds with 8 queries