View Single Post
Old April 25, 2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Tucker 1371

Quote:
weight +velocity is what force is
My high school AP Physics teacher (who was also my wrestling coach) would have made me run suicide sprints till I died for that one.

To me the only thing on paper that paints an accurate picture of a round's stopping power is kinetic energy (KE= one half mass times velocity squared). The amount of energy an object has determines the amount of work (damage) it can do on another object, this is a principle they drill into your head in a high school physics class.

Momentum is kind of a moot point since, mathematically, it is a part of kinetic energy. A bullet may impart its momentum on a target (cause it to move) but just moving a target around isn't going to kill it, it's the actual work that the bullet does (aka energy it loses) while it is inside the target that makes a difference. Long story short: on paper the best way to judge a bullet's stopping power is kinetic energy. However, IMHO, the best way period to tell a bullet's stopping power is to shoot it's optimum HP and FMJ loads through ballistics gel and look at the cavities.

Quote:
I agree. Been telling folks that same thing for a long to time. If your load is capable of producing 800 Ft/lbs at 50 feet, yet only deposits 50 Ft/lbs on your target and the other 750 go straight through with the bullet, it really doesn't matter, energy that is.
\

No arguing with that.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Page generated in 0.02278 seconds with 8 queries