View Single Post
Old May 8, 2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Jim Watson

1. Most .45 ACP jacketed bullets are .451", cast are .452" as is usual practice. I shot some Magtech .452" jacketed and they did just fine, but most bullets of that diameter are made for .45 Colt revolvers. They would shoot, but might not be of a good shape to feed.

2. Same idea, cast bullets run larger than jacketed; plus .38 Supers are traditionally a thousandth larger.

3. Cast bullets generate enough lead fume to be the major source of airborne lead, alarums over lead compounds in primers notwithstanding. Indoor ranges are usually ventillated well enough to handle it and I don't see a problem outdoors. I've been shooting cast bullets for years and I am perfectly all right, all right, all right, all right, all rrr...
You can get copper plated bullets cheaper than real jacketed, but I prefer the "moly" coated lead from Bear Creek or Precision.

4. There are two sizes of US primers, small is .175" diameter, large is .210" with different specifications for rifle and pistol for four types. Magnum primers in each style to double the choices. Use small pistol for 9mm, large for .45; no magnums necessary.

5. I don't load on Lee and cannot comment except to say that I once had two Dillon Square Deals, one large, one small primer. I now load all .45s on a 1050 and all other pistol ammunition on a 550 which means I have to change primer feeds every now and then. If you get one press, get a large supply of brass so you don't have to spend time changing primer sizes very often. If you are going to shoot 200 a month each, get, say, 2500 pieces of brass each caliber and load a year's supply at a time.

Page generated in 0.03889 seconds with 8 queries