View Single Post
Old May 18, 2017, 05:46 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Like most hunting answers, "It depends..."

I hunt public land out west, so there really isn't consideration for a fixed stand. But there are areas and specific spots that I revisit regularly.

Here, anywhere that I can legally park an ATV is on or right adjacent to a road where other hunters will be riding ATVs and road-hunting with trucks. (And making illegal excursions into areas closed to motor vehicles.)

But different species react differently. Under the right circumstances, you can ride right through a herd of Muleys and they don't really care.
Often, they'll feed around a parked ATV (or herd of ATVs), and not be easily spooked.
Moose don't give a rat's behind. You can run right into them, and they'll just kick you in the face if they even acknowledge your existance.
But Elk... Elk hate the smell, the sound, and the sight. They keep their distance during the day and will skedaddle if you get too close (not so much at night, as they've learned that they're safe).

For Mule deer, one can pretty much just park the ATV and sit on it, without decreasing the odds of filling a tag. I don't put much thought into where I park.
Elk... time to beat feet and get away from the sounds and smells of man. Thinking back, I'd say I usually park 300-500 yards from where I intend to start hunting for Elk.

As for Florida...
I do have some experience there with the little Coastal Whitetails.
But I don't have a single answer for them, either.

In some areas, they didn't have a care in the world about humans and vehicles, except when crossing highways.

Yet, in other areas, they were skiddish as all get-out, when it came to cars, trucks, ATVs, boats, and other 'sounds of man'. If they heard something, they went on alert. If it appeared to be moving their direction, they high-tailed it to safety and didn't come back any time soon (often before the vehicle came within 150-200+ yards).

Most hunters that I saw hunting with an ATV parked just 50-75 yards from their stand. But, those hunters usually only filled their tag(s) when other vehicles pushed deer back through the area.

What do I use? A '93 Honda Four-Trax 300FW(C). Nothing special, other than full-time 4WD and a lot of booger welds and fabri-cobbled fixes. (It spent 20+ years on an Eastern Idaho ranch.)

Page generated in 0.02016 seconds with 8 queries