View Single Post
Old July 30, 2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Quote:
I don't have the gun, equipment, or the skill to do the work so I guess it was more for the sake of curiousity
Well, look for books and websites on things like "Trapdoor Springfield," "Allin Conversion," and "Snider." After that it gets weird, but there are such things as the Lindner and Merrill Alterations, the Miller , Morse Centerfire, Mont Storm, Needham, Peabody, Phoenix, Remington, and Roberts Conversions.
All of those are for conversion of the large inventories of rifle muskets left over after the Civil War, except the Snider which is the British equivalent.
There are probably some one-off gunsmith efforts here and there, but I haven't seen anything on them.

Hawg has shown what are commonly called Gemmer Conversions. Kind of a backwards conversion for traditionalists in the late 19th century, breechloaders made to look like muzzleloaders. The first set of pictures is a Trapdoor Springfield action with barrel and stock in the style of a Hawken, the last is a similar but less elaborate Gemmer Sharps.

Page generated in 0.05162 seconds with 8 queries