View Single Post
Old February 25, 2013, 03:27 PM   #82
huntinaz

Quote:
So you'd have nothing to say to a person who's driving a tanker from gas station to gas station in the middle of a fuel crisis, buying up all the gasoline he can get, just so he can have a two-year supply of gasoline for himself, or perhaps to sell it at greatly-inflated prices? Nothing to say at all, except "Good for you, and I'm glad you had the money to buy that much gasoline"?

Scott, I guess I'm not lumping this is with a shortage that would effect life, limb, property or livelihood. I am drawing a line between a temporary ammunition/component shortage due to a demand shock, and a gasoline crisis. If nobody can move from point A to Point B, the economy crashes. That's different than what we have here.

But essentially yes, I am defending the right of people to decide for themselves how much ammunition they need and how to conduct their business in general. I am also defending the free market. That's not to say I don't think some of them are jerks, but I understand supply and demand and it's hard to get too mad at a seller for selling at a price a buyer is willing to pay.

Quote:
I'm tired of all the butthurt, and people whining "You can't tell us what to do", and "mind your own business".
I think we have different perspectives on who is butthurt and whining, but most importantly I think it goes against the American spirit of personal freedom to be told what to do. Buying supply (commodities) that is in demand for whatever reason is not taking away freedoms of others. Perhaps inconveniencing some of them, but not taking away essentials.

And I don't know how much we want to get into price gouging or supply and demand, but frankly those who buy now and sell at inflated prices are taking a risk. I will bet that some of them are going to lose their asses on large purchases after prices come back down and they have all this ammunition that is worth what they paid for it.... or less since they aren't a retail store.

Quote:
You're within your legal rights to spend your money however you wish, and you're free to buy consumer goods in whatever quantities you can afford. But don't believe for a minute that your actions don't have direct consequences on the lives of others...
I hear you, but again I argue that since we are not talking about essentials to life, limb, property etc that these are inconveniences and not actions that threaten liberty. When you start interfering with other people rights, there is a problem. I do not believe this is relevent here.

Quote:
...or that your activities are beyond criticism or reproach just because they're legal.
Absolutely, people disagree about stuff all the time. And it is good we can have these disagreements civilly without fear of persecution. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

Page generated in 0.03184 seconds with 8 queries