View Single Post
Old May 19, 2021, 06:21 AM   #32
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY View Post
CDW4ME,

Lucky Gunner is where I got the stats as well they did some great gel testing.

Many a PD and the FBI have gone back to 9mm for cost, recoil, and slightly higher capacity...but the .40 is not going to "disappear". For example, Look at the resurgence of 10mm as a "woods" pistol .40 will get the job done with the right loads, and even 9mm has some that should be avoided.

All rounds mentioned by them will be available until smokeless powder is simply not made anymore.
Heck, you can still find .455 Webley online...
Ever watch the slow mo video for any of those tests?
Difference in how high the gel is lifted off the table is interesting, watch a 9mm/40 test in slow mo and gel maybe lifted to 3'' off table.
357 Sig HST and 10mm 155 XTP deliver much more lift.

Gel is good for comparison, but IMO not reflective of the effect of increased energy.
I can find 38 special and 357 Mag with near the same expansion and penetration, yet 357 mag delivers 2x the energy.
Some will generalize that energy at handgun levels doesn't matter.
The 10mm 155 XTP that expands to about .65 in gel (in those tests) made 1 1/4'' hole in tissue when I shot a deer; so, the gel result not match what I documented in tissue.
Gives me the opinion that gel is not completely reflective of 357 Sig and 10mm potential.

Page generated in 0.04626 seconds with 8 queries