View Single Post
Old May 25, 2013, 05:38 PM   #42
603Country

Unclenick, I was using the Redding FL Bushing die without the expander button. As for whether or not I was using the absolute best sized bushing, I can't really say. I was, in yesterday's shooting, using the largest bushing I had. The bullets were seating with a bit more resistance than when seating bullets into cases that had been sized with the Lee Collet Die. The cases were once-fired Lapua match 223. The group size difference isn't really that big, and I didn't go to the trouble of measuring the groups, which were in the range of 3/4 inch, but the loads from cases sized by the collet die were noticeably smaller, with fewer flyers. I hate to use the word 'flyers' since that gets Bart B going, but what else am I gonna call em?

When I was finished with the 40 gr Sierra Varminters, I wanted to check my POI before I put the gun away. I took a few rounds of the 40 gr Nosler BT's in Lapua not-yet-once-fired cases and shot them into about 1/2 to 3/8 inch precisely on my desired point of impact.

I almost forgot to mention that my rifle, a Ruger Hawkeye with a 1 in 9 twist will let me seat bullets out pretty far. I assume that's because that rifle with that twist needs to be able to feed and shoot long, high BC bullets in the 70 grain range. A tiny little 40 grainer, like the Sierra, with no plastic tip and the BC of a pebble just can't easily be seated far enough out to get that close to the lands unless the bullet is seated way less than one caliber deep. The Nosler 40 gr BT is longer and I can get that bullet closer to the lands. For the record, if memory is correct, I can seat to 2.31 and touch the lands. The Nosler likes to be at 2. 217 and the Sierra at 2.20 (I think, but my brain is just full of numbers by now). That's not exactly short, but it is a ways from the lands.

Last edited by 603Country; May 25, 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.02315 seconds with 8 queries