Thread: Scorpion
View Single Post
Old December 1, 2008, 06:10 AM   #2
rogertc1

Silly .32 semi-auto pistol is just a novelity, at least in the USA.
I copy and paste:
The Scorpion SA Vz 61 Submachine Gun
Jumping Jehoshaphat! This little humdinger of a submachinegun (SMG) produced in the Czech Republic is just what you'd expect to see in the hands of some evil terrorist in a Batman or Schwarzenegger movie sequel! The name alone can scare the daylights out of ya'!

The Scorpion has a history almost as exciting as its name. This true machine pistol (machinepistole) is capable of full-auto, single-hand fire or, with its tubular, metal shoulder stock or fixed, wooden stock extended, it works just as well as a standard, shoulder-fired submachinegun-take your pick. I believe I'll try the special ops silenced version, thank you.

Development of this SMG began in the late 1950s with application for non-infantry types in need of a lightweight personal defense weapon (can you say, pistol replacement for officers?). The weapon's subsonic speed, thanks to the 7.65x17 Browning or .32 ACP caliber-version, makes it readily adapted for stealth/silenced mode of operation popular with military Special Forces or terrorist types.

With the adoption of the Soviet 9x18 mm Makarov pistol cartridge, the Scorpion was issued to Czech army units in the early 1980s, and it has been exported. A licensed version of the Scorpion was produced in Yugoslavia.

There is a Scorpion for several calibers-from the .32 ACP to the Makarov to the 9x17 (.380 ACP), and the more common 9x18 and 9x19 Luger/Parabellum.Depending on the model, the Scorpion weighs a svelte, 1.28 kilograms (2.82 pounds) without the magazine.

Again, depending on the model, its overall length is an abbreviated 270mm (10.6 inches) long, with its retractable stock folded up and out of the way (i.e., over the upper receiver). Fully extended, the Scorpion is 517mm (20.35 inches) in length. The barrel length is 115mm or 4.5 inches, and the rate of fire for this little beauty is an amazing 850 rounds per minute. Magazines include a 10- or 20-round clip.

A close-quarter machinepistole, the Scorpion has an effective range of 25 meters (82 feet), making it desirable to terrorists.

http://rainbowsix.wikia.com/wiki/Skorpion_VZ83

Last edited by rogertc1; December 1, 2008 at 06:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.02569 seconds with 8 queries