View Single Post
Old October 28, 2005, 02:29 PM   #124
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAlaska
I've had a CCW since I think 1981 (?) in such varied and sundry places as NY, NYC, Pennsylvania, Florida and Alaska. When i think of all the times I spent putting on a gun, spare mag, taking it off, locking it in trunk making sure it didjnt print, thinking about it on my hip, worrying about this, worry about that...instead of just....LIVING....

I wonder...

You can arm yourslef to the teeth, spend your whole life looking over your shoulder, carry nine guns and wear body armor, alarm your house, spend thousands of dollars on tactical schools...

And when the big guy calls your number...

Your going.....nothing is gonna stop it.
Some people enjoy spending all their time doing that, though, which is cool in my book. Being tactical can be an excellent source of entertainment for oneself. I mean, if people hated doing it, they wouldn't... would they? There has to be some appeal in it.

I think it's possible to live, have other hobbies, train to draw and shoot well, and carry without having to worry about it. For me, being tactical does not necessitate walking around in stage 3 body armor, it's more of a daily process of making judgment calls that are safe and smart, and this is reinforced until it becomes second nature. The quality of my life has not suffered from this. There's no questioning that we're all gonna go someday, and that we only have a certain measure of control over our own fate, which diminishes continually with the passage of time. That said, I think that if people want to indulge themselves in the most tactical behavior possible, then go for it. It has the bonus of being much more than a mere indulgence in terms of practicality, which is more than can be said for many popular past-times.

Page generated in 0.03284 seconds with 8 queries