View Single Post
Old July 6, 2002, 10:50 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I am a trapshooter and shoot only a little skeet and very occasional sporting clays.
But, if you are just getting started, I reccomend skeet. You get to shoot enough different targets to learn the importance of swing and lead, but with enough repetitions to learn fairly rapidly.
Easy choice on guns, too. Any auto, O/U, or even SxS 12, 16, or 20 gauge with little choke - cylinder, skeet, or improved cylinder - will break any and every skeet target you put it on.

When you are comfortable with that, try some trap. You will need a modified or full choke and if you get serious, a properly stocked trap gun. But that will add the fast away birds and the challenge of random angles, even though within a fairly narrow range. Again, you will get in enough shooting to learn the technique.

Sporting clays is very varied, with many targets over many layouts and backgrounds. It is the current fad, popular and fun, IF you can hit the targets. But the wide variety of target presentations and the slow pace of a round over the large range needed to hold all those layouts make it hard to get the repetitions necessary to build skill. I don't think SC is a good starting place or learning experience unless you have the money and time for extensive training and practice. Easier to learn the basics at skeet and trap; then move on to SC when you know what it takes to hit most targets. Unless, of course, you decide trap or skeet is the game for you and you stay with it to get really good.

Page generated in 0.03325 seconds with 8 queries