View Single Post
Old August 28, 2013, 06:32 PM   #17
ZVP

Thanks for all the posts guys!
There's a good deal of ideas to ponder in this thread mainly penetration. There is no doubt that a relatively heavy bullet moving at medium speed , will outpenetrate lighter JHPammo fired from a short barreled Semi-Auto. Even a 1 7/8" J frame shooting a 158 gr bullet has more penetration potential thanthe aforementioned light bullet short barrel .380.
I am sold on the heavier bullet theroy.
My favorite .38 revolver is a HB Model 10 but it is rather a large gun and normally requires an outside the pants belt holster. It's 4" barrel DOES make use of the additional barrel length to burn the powder and get the velocities up though!Fired from this venerable 4", todays High Preformance.38 Special ammo actually gets up to speeds where reliable expansion can be counted upon.
The trouble is most of us don't or can't always carry a 4" belt holster and opt for a "J" Frame. I am guilty as anyone else and carry a Model 36 Chiefs Special stoked with Speers XTP bulleted .38 Special ammo. With it, recoil is low as is Muzzle Flash and the high preformance Speer bullet is designed to preform from short barrels.
Noone can discount the advantage of the Semi-Auto .380's 6+1 capacity over a "J" frame's 5 shots that's for sure! Ya never know when those extra shots might be needed!
I'm still going to stick with my .38 Specials though, I just feel more comfortable with their bullet weights and penetration.
BPDave

Page generated in 0.02453 seconds with 8 queries