View Single Post
Old July 14, 2008, 05:44 AM   #4
mykeal

I've used both BC Plum Brown and LMF browning solution on both large and small projects, and I've had both long enough to have seen the long term results.

First the bad news: I don't have a favorite between the two. They are different processes requiring quite different tools, and both produce good results that last a long time.

I guess that was also the good news...

I don't understand the comment about somebody smelling something - none of the projects I've done have any discernible odor (or else SWMBO would have 'mentioned' it).

Hints: with the BC product, be sure to get the metal heated uniformly and be sure it's hot enough. It will take the brown if it's cooler than the recommended temperature, but the results will be spotty. It will take several coats and quite a bit of work to get an even finish. Get the metal to 260 degrees and one coat will suffice. The key is to be patient and heat it slowly and evenly; you'll get there and it will be worth it.

With LMF, high humidity is the key. I set up a fixture on a sawhorse in a room with a shower, set the metal in the fixture so I have both hands free, turn on the hot water in the shower and close the door. When the mirror fogs in the room I start applying the solution. When it's all on, turn off the shower and leave it be for at least the recommended 3 hours. And don't be disappointed with the first couple of coats - LMF takes several coats and much more time than the BC stuff, but again, the results are worth it. Patience.

Page generated in 0.02137 seconds with 8 queries