View Single Post
Old February 21, 2005, 10:57 PM   #18
OBIWAN

I saw a recent rumor that S&W was going to stop making frames/slides for other mfgs. Kind of scary since many of the top MFG's use their parts.

I am surprised Handy is not all up in arms about those MFG's charging just as much for their pistols without having to tool up their own slides and frames

Too busy casting aspersions on Kimbers quality I guess.

I don't really have an axe to grind...I have one Kimber that I am very happy with...but I have not really had a bad 1911 and I haveowned/still own S/A, STI, S&W, and COLT as well. The anecdotal evidence that they (1911's)need a lot of work is based on 10-20 year old information. (like the S&W slide/frame thing)

I try to stay current ..it helps not to believe everyhting you hear/read.

I saw a statement from Hilton Yam, who actually builds 1911's (as well as carrying them) that put MIM in perspective

He said that there was nothing wrong with MIM...that was done right

Any more than there was anything intrinsically wrong with any other MFG process. Same as the cast frame /forged frame war....a well cast frame is a lot better than a poorly forged frame...well...you get the idea.

In fact, the only problem he had with MIM parts were that they ate up his files because they were often very hard.

He said;

"I have numerous personal guns and customer guns out there with MIM slide stops, FP stops, disconnectors, mag catches, and safeties, and they've all held up fine with the guns having between 10k and 20k+ out of each."

MIM is here to stay. The fact that some MFG's are using the hype to help market MIM-Free weapons does not make it bad. That is just marketing. It works so of course they will keep doing it.

As to choices

I have had exactly one pistol that would not/could not be fixed and Kahr replaced it for me. And yet I don't feel the need to advise the masses that Kahrs are junk....even though that reflects my own very limited experience.

And oh yeah...I read something about it on the internet

Lots of people...police and military alike are choosing 1911's..people that go in harms way....not chairborne rangers People that need their weapons to work...every time. People that fire more rounds in training than most of the experts on this board (no...I didn't mean you!)

But what do they know

Doesn't mean you should.....or shouldn't go out and buy one

Page generated in 0.03411 seconds with 8 queries