View Single Post
Old April 15, 2017, 04:32 PM   #32
supercub99

As are many, it's an interesting piece. They don't all fit in nice little boxes as someone I know recently pointed out.....they may have started out in life in a defined box but were changed down the road.

I think your rifle falls into that latter category. I believe from most of the characteristics that it started life as a National match rifle. The star gaged barrel, the butt plate, the numbers on the parts, CV, NS and the drawing numbers etc all point to that, the Lyman 48 included.
The stock is not NM or isn't now, nor is the side mount and scope. I believe the stock was or began life as a full C stock that was later cut down. Although there was a stock produced like yours with the front band spring, it was a grasping grove style. T
he front barrel band is not one I've seen from Springfield, I have seen this on modified rifles a couple times though.

According to Clark S Campbell, page 103 indicate there were 1,020 NM rifles made in fiscal 1937.

And finally, your info

"DCM:1498077a1nm 033039dcm rifle sales 1922-42"

Indicates it is a NM rifle and was sold in 1939 through the dcm. What happened to it after that is pure speculation, one or more could have done all or parts of the modifications to that rifle. At this point its a very cool rifle and does have value although as a collectable of what it began as, not so much.

Thanks for sharing it!

Page generated in 0.02597 seconds with 8 queries