View Single Post
Old August 25, 2009, 07:43 AM   #22
Skans

I do some jogging and quite a bit of hiking in rural NE Georgia. Most of the folks there own dogs and let them pretty much run free. For the most part they stay on their own land, unless you walk by their land, then they will come out to "greet" you. While I do carry a knife on me, I don't carry a gun (so far) when I'm there.

A couple of things about dogs - they basically don't want to be ignored - stop and let them sniff your hand and that's about all most of them want. I've never had to harm someone's dog for running up to me.

A couple of things about folks in NE Georgia and probably other rural areas - you don't want to hurt their dogs. You might be in the right but nothing good is going to come of that. I'm pretty good with a knife and I know how to fight dogs if necessary. But, that would be an absolute last resort.

I have seen a pack of wild dogs run through one end of my property - they were just running through and I haven't seen them again. But, wild dogs are a different story. If I catch them on my land again, I'll put down every one of them, if I can - just like hunting any other pest.

Page generated in 0.03870 seconds with 8 queries