View Single Post
Old July 19, 2019, 08:38 AM   #37
stephen426

Quote:
That was the point in my early career when I decided that if I witnessed an armed robbery off-duty, unless I reasonably really believed that some particular armed suspect was actually going to shoot/kill some victim(s), and not just take their property and flee, I was going to remain a trained witness and not needlessly start a gun fight that might otherwise not have happened. The innocent family members of everyone else are just as important to them, as mine are to me.
How does one go about discerning what a robber’s intent is? The threat of force should be taken seriously. With that said, I understand that you have to analyze the situation as there may be a shoot/don’t shoot situation. There is always the risk of hitting bystanders near or behind the bad guy. My point was that for me, I would not watch a bad guy count down to 10 with them pointing a gun at my child if I reasonably felt I could get a good shot and end the threat.

I guess part of the decision would be based on proficiency and the weapon you have with you. Practice often and carry a gun you can shoot well and packs enough punch to end a fight quickly.

Page generated in 0.02639 seconds with 8 queries